Basic rules for “plogging day”
Here are a series of recommendations and protocols for organizing or practicing plogging safely.
Plan the plogging activity during the morning and always with good visibility
Cancel the activity in case of heavy rain, fog, or other climatic changes that do not allow proper visibility.
Find a good parking place
It is better to make the meeting point where there is easy and safe parking for participants. It is possible to send parking coordinates with google maps.
Avoid dangerous areas of traffic jam, for example road sides
• For security reasons and because the activity is also open to children, avoid areas where there is some risk with traffic.
• Try to organize it on the beach or in mountain or forest areas and if you are in a city, parks are always a good option.
Program the activity in a place with recycling containers to do the selection at the end
This is very important because at the end of the activity, the collected waste must be sorted and deposited each in its container.
Give indications to callers – briefing
In a previously called plogging outing, instructions must always be given to ensure everyone understands the activity, with a clear description of what to collect and the areas where it will be held. However, it is important to respect the scheduled times of the starting or end point of the activity. In those outings where a lot of attendance is expected, it is best to do this with a briefing even with the help of a pa system.
Work in groups (at least two people)
• Plogging is a more effective and fun activity if we practice it in a group.
• Children should always be overseen by an adult.
Have a first aid kit
• It is recommended to bring a small first aid kit (antiseptic solution, gauze pads, band aids).
• In case of needing a considerable care, health support will be required.
• Any serious incident must be treated by a medical professional.
Be careful with dangerous waste
• Never collect any hazardous or unsafe waste (syringe, knife, hazardous domestic products, dead animals, condoms, bottles and bottles with unlabeled content…)
• If you find spills, it is recommended to take a photo and send it with the coordinates to the pertinent department of the city council.
Bring bags and use gloves
• For safety reasons, it is recommended to use protective gloves (better if they are gardening gloves).
• You need to wash and clean your hands when everything is done.
Wear suitable clothing
Comfortable clothing (sports or hiking clothes) and appropriate to the area where the activity will be organized. The use of sandals is not recommended.
Combine it with other exercises
• We recommend doing an active warm-up before the activity and stretching after finishing the plogging.
• To practice plogging, you often need to bend down, improving overall mobility, especially of the hip, abductors, and ankles.
Take the bag on the right or left arm alternatively
Do it often in order to avoid weight load contractions always on the same side.
Share the result on social media
If you share it on social networks, you make more citizens be aware of the need to take care of the environment, as well as the need to change many social, economic and civic habits.